Netflix keeps door open for possible spinoffs after canceling ‘House of Cards’

By : MARIAH COOPER OF THE WASHINGTON BLADE, COURTESY OF THE NATIONAL LGBT MEDIA ASSOCIATION
Comments: 0

Netflix has announced “House of Cards” will end after its upcoming sixth season in the wake of sexual harassment allegations against the series’ star, Kevin Spacey.

A source told the Associated Press that the decision to end the show was made “several months ago” and is not related to the allegations.

However, Netflix isn’t giving up on the “House of Cards” franchise altogether. Variety reports that the streaming service is considering spinoffs that don’t feature Frank Underwood (Spacey).

One spinoff would follow Doug Stamper (Michael Kelly) while others could delve into the D.C. media with stories surrounding Washington Herald journalists Janine Skorsky (Constance Zimmer) and Tom Hammerschmidt (Boris McGiver).

Media Rights Capital and Netflix announced in a joint statement that executives went to Baltimore, where the show is filmed, on Monday to check in with cast and crew. Spacey was not scheduled to film that day.

“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey,” the companies said in a joint statement today. “In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”

Deadline also reports that Spacey’s upcoming Netflix film “Gore” may also be put on hold amid the controversy.

Share this story: